Monday 2 May 2016

Don Jon's relationships in the play

What are your relationships in the play?


I have a very dysfunctional relationship with my brother. I tried to kill him once but it did not work because Claudio jeopardised it. Now my brother has taken Claudio under his wing, therefore I detest Claudio and want him to suffer. I don't have much of a relationship with any of the women in the play, and if I were to have one it would be completely physical with no emotional connection. Conrade is the character in the play who I am closest to, like me he is quite evil and enjoys causing trouble. I enjoy plotting against others with him, he is probably my only friend. I pretend to like Borachio because he is useful to me as he is poor and so with a bit of money I can get him to do whatever I like.

From left; Claudio (x2), Benedick (x2), Don Pedro (x2), Don Jon, Conrade, Borachio

Who do you openly like? Who do you openly dislike? Who do you secretly like? And who do you secretly dislike? 

I openly like Conrade. People know that I dislike my brother and Claudio, however I try and make people believe that I like him in order to get what I want from them and at one point in the play I succeed in doing this. I pretend to like Borachio in order to get him to do what I want, I do not dislike him but I have less respect for him than Conrade and I think of myself as better than him.

No comments:

Post a Comment